Sunday, November 28, 2010

Japanese Onsens

I was once in an onsen in Japan. An onsen is an outdoor natural spa, though very few are actually natural these days. But it is like a tradition in Japan to get your kit off with your mates and take a bath together. I thought it would be strange but I was surprisingly ok with it so long as the bath was big and there didn't need to be any touching involved. Despite trying non-stop for four years I wasn't able to find any male/female communal onsens, nor was I able to convince any of the girls I knew to join me in my search. Anyway, while we were lying on our banana chairs and I was musing over  how I came to be in such a confined area with so many naked men, an old man walked right in front of us, turned around, and with no regard for his audience proceeded to bend over and start his Tai Chi exercises. I gagged. And I suddenly got the feeling I wasn't in Kansas anymore.

Despite this first hiccup I actually became quite fond of the onsen and now that I'm back home, it is one of the many things I miss about the country. Bring on the Australian onsens!

No comments:

Post a Comment