Thursday, December 9, 2010

Banana Holders

I was walking through a dollar store the other day, which is incidentally where I like to do the lion's share of my christmas shopping, and they were having a sale on Banana holders. It struck me as an interesting concept, the Banana Holder. A few years ago when I first saw one I saw the name and thought, "I just use my hand." (to hold a banana) Then, when I realised it was a case in  which to put your banana I thought, "Don't bananas come with their own natural casing and isn't that casing called skin?" Why on earth would you need another case in which to put your banana? What a pain in the arse.

What appealed to me the most though wasn't the genius of the invention, but the ingenious way they had advertised it. Did they go through the many benefits of owning a banana holder? No they didn't. They obviously assumed that everyone would simply understand that they needed one. Instead they had a bright big sign above them which stated, "HOLD'S 90% OF ALL BANANAS!" Bananas coming, as you know, in a variety of shapes and sizes, initial designs must have proven inadequate.

I'm thinking of creating a spherical plastic container 3ft in diametre and trumping them with a new generation of banana holder, the sign for which would state, "HOLDS 100% OF ALL BANANAS!" I think I'm on to something here. Early retirement here I come!

No comments:

Post a Comment