Thursday, March 31, 2011

Profitable Parties

When I was leaving Japan, having lived there for three and a half years, I had a huge leaving party. About 55 people showed up. Parties were easy to throw in Japan cause all the expats and students we were friends with were all on Facebook and you just put up an event and everyone shows up. But i hadn't really accounted for 55. I thought at most there would be 40 and so I booked for 50 just in case.

In Japanese Izakayas, which are like restaurant bars, you can generally book a private room if you have lots of people and generally you order some sort of set menu with nomihoudi which means all you can drink. Which I believe is just awesome. It's about $40. $40 all you can drink and enough food for everyone with some left over. All my Australian mates reading this are now booking flights.

So at the end of the night they asked not how many were there but how many we booked for. We said 50. They then quoted a price. Everyone came out and we collected their money on the way through. In the end though, we were about $150 up and Hiro and I hadn't paid yet. I very quickly pocketed the money and told Hiro I'd be shouting our drinks. It was a GOOD night.

I really miss nights like that in Japan. When I went back we went to Miami Beer Garden for my birthday. This was just a 1 week holiday but it happened to fall on my birthday. Miami Beer Garden is on the top of the DaiNagoya building. It opens over the summer and it is $40 all you can eat and drink. It has yakiniku which is thinly sliced raw meat that you cook yourself on a small bbq and lather in sauce before eating. In Miami Beer Garden there is a smorgasboard of raw meat to choose from and it is AWESOME.

The variety of beer is good too. When you are finished with your three hours you have to pay $5 per half hour to continue. Can I eat and drink $5 worth of meat and beer in half an hour?          Yes I think I can.

AND I WILL!

1 comment: